Do you ever have times in your life where you have a great idea or feel pulled to do something amazing, to really step up and move forward? You start out filled with enthusiasm, tell the people closest to you, feel full of positivity and excitement then.....somehow you lose momentum, start doubting your ideas, tell yourself you cannot do it and allow negative reactions from others to confirm why it won't work.
Oh...then you beat yourself up for giving up and feel bad. Sound familiar?
It is all too easy in the world we live in today to allow events and circumstances to dictate what we do with our lives and how we feel in a given moment. Over time we can become fearful, anxious, depressed, overwhelmed and unhappy.
So what are the keys to taking back control of your life?
1. Choose how you feel – at any moment you are choosing how to feel by what you are doing with our physiology, how you move and breathe, your focus, and your language. Change any one of those 3 things and you can change how you feel. Ask yourself better questions because by doing this you are instantly changing what you focus on. For example rather than asking “why can’t I do this?” “why is this not working”, ask “How can I turn this around?” or “what can I do right now to move forward.”
2. Be Honest - What do you really want? What excites you? If you could do absolutely anything what would it be? What do you love doing? Brainstorm!
3. Get enough reasons WHY this is important to you. What will it give you? How will your life be different? How will you improve not only your own life for the better but also those around you? How great will it be that you are following your passion? Having enough reasons why is really essential. Those reasons will keep you going through the toughest challenges.
4. Get leverage - If you don't do this how will you feel? If you settle for second best what will your life be like in the future? When you are older and looking back on your life how much will you regret not doing this? Find someone to hold you accountable and encourage you. this is critical. It can be someone you know or ideally a coach who is trained to help you break through limiting beliefs that are holding you back and give you tools you can use to move forward. Accountability is the key!
5. TAKE ACTION - Put together a timescale with small and manageable steps that you can take. Nothing will change if you don't take action. Every step you take is a step closer to your dream becoming reality. Get feedback and learn. If something isn't working then look at different ways to get the results you want.